|Picture slideshow created with Smilebox|
We had a terrific first day of school today. We unpacked supplies, learned our classroom rules, and even had time to play and have a cold treat to beat the heat!
Here are our rules:
- Raise your hand when you want to talk. That way, when we talk, others will listen!
- Hands and feet to yourself. Hands are for helping and feet are for moving. They work better when they stay in our own space!
- Be a good friend. This is a big one. We will learn all year what a good friend does, says, and is!
- Clean up your own mess. Mess happens. Just don’t leave it messy!
- Do your best work. Take your time and whatever you put your name on, you can be proud of!
Remember that School Pictures will be taken on Tuesday, September 6th!!
Our first Math unit for this month is ‘Patterns’. We will be learning to extend them (make them longer), copy them, translate them (change the basic pattern into another form), build patterns with more than one attribute (Gr. 2), and fix pattern mistakes. Patterning is crucial to mathematical understanding – and to reading development, too. Recognizing letter patterns help us to read new words!
We will also be learning about classroom rules and about how to keep our attention at its best learning potential. This is called ‘Self-Regulation’. There are links to some articles about self-regulation on the parent page.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!